Jun 12, 2019
Never in a million years did I think I’d be talking to a male OBGYN about Burning Man, empowerment, patriarchy, and the spiritual side of birth and death?!
For obvious reasons, I’m extra primed to talk about birth right now, but even if pregnancy and birth are not on your radar, I encourage you to stick around, because these conversations are so important and interesting and contraversial and entertaining!
Discussed in the Episode:
- what funny shoes have to do with heavy things
- on witnessing birth and witnessing death
- Nathan’s experiences with hospice & palliative care
- why we’re the only species who doubt our ability to give birth
- obgyn residency: so what do you expect?
- why empowerment is key
- what is birthing in captivity
- Nathan’s story of witnessing a home birth
- what it’s like to be an OBGYN’s wife
- why birth control is the most patriarchal, destructive ‘tool’
- on loving Burning Man
Mentioned in the Episode:
- “Why We Don’t Move on from Grief” TED Talk: https://www.ted.com/talks/nora_mcinerny_we_don_t_move_on_from_grief_we_move_forward_with_it
- Michel Oden
- Holotropic Breathwork
- Freebirth Society podcast
- Nathan on Indie Birth podcast
CONNECT WITH NATHAN ON IG: